Monday, September 26, 2011

News Flash! Frozen Hummus a Big Hit!

Hummus with roasted red pepper, steamed spinach with sesame oil and soy sauce, hakurei turnip, steamed green beans, carrots, lettuce, olives; home made applesauce with frozen raspberries; melon chunks
The frozen hummus has been working out great. I have been taking the cubes out of the freezer at dinner time and popping them back in to the silicone liners to thaw. By the time we're washing dishes, it is thawed enough that I can put it in a bowl and stir in other ingredients, if I want. Tonight I added roasted red pepper, just to change it up. This lunch was already easy to make the night before, and the frozen hummus makes it super fast.

I read about Japanese Taco Rice yesterday on Just Bento, one of my favorite blogs. In this episode, her husband uses couscous instead of rice, but you can see some nice taco filling and toppings. It looks so good! It made me think of my frozen hummus cubes: I bet you could make a lot of taco filling and freeze it in the silicone liners to keep on hand. Then when you have stir fry and salad for dinner, you could quickly whip together a couple taco-rice bentos with lettuce, tomatoes, onions and cheese on the side. Stay tuned for further updates...

No comments:

Post a Comment